Doing Your First Triathlon
A Basic How To Guide
The Day Before
Check you have all that is required for the event.
- Know the location, parking, the course and the time for registration.
- RACE NUMBER: 4 Pins or race belt for your race number
- SWIM: Bathers and goggles
- BIKE: Bike, helmet, shoes, top (T-Shirt or similar)
- RUN: Shoes, cap
- OTHER: Water bottles, small towel, sunscreen
- Arrive on time – set the alarm to give you time to get there
- Park in designated / recommended areas
- Place your bike and equipment in the rack for your category / race distance
- Go to REGISTRATION and check in – receive your race number
- Set up your equipment next to your bike
- ATTEND THE RACE BRIEFING FOR SAFETY AND COURSE INSTRUCTIONS AND SWIM (WAVE) STARTS
- Move to the swim start and follow the starters directions. If you are not comfortable swimming in a group start to the rear and on the outside
- If you require assistance during the swim raise your hand for assistance and stop to have a rest. Continue when you are ready
- From the Swim run to the bike racks following the marked pathways.
- Bike Racks: Clean your feet – an extra water bottle gets the sand off. Put on shoes, t-shirt and BIKE HELMET before moving the bike form the racks
- Push you bike to the bike exit and to the MOUNT YOUR BIKE LINE.
- Ride the course keeping to the left unless overtaking other cyclists. Keep an eye out for cars even on courses with closed roads
- After completing the ride dismount at the DISMOUNT LINE and push you bike back to your bike rack. Rack your bike before you unfasten your helmet.
- Run: Follow the direction to the Run Exit and start the course.
- Complete the course running on the left side unless advised otherwise making sure you do the required number of laps.
- At the end – Run through the finish area with you race number FACING THE FRONT FOR TIMING PURPOSES. It you have a timing band take it off and give it to officials just after the finish.
- Transition / Bike Racks: Walk around the Transition and check the exit and entry points for the swim, cycle and run. Know where your bike is.
- Hydrate at all times no matter what the temperature on the day
- Pace yourself throughout the event
- Medical: Asthmatics should carry their medical puffer where appropriate. If any problems occur stop and seek assistance. If you do have a problem consult the medical staff in transition or on the course.
- Have an Ipod or walkman on the cycle or run
- Knowingly break the Triathlon rules (on the web: www.allbarnone.com)
- Enjoy yourself and achieve your personal success J